Can Dogs Eat Peanut Shells?

Does your dog like peanuts? You must be wondering that can dogs eat peanut shells along with peanuts as well. Luckily, you are at the right place. Well, peanut shells are not poisonous for dogs, but their ingestion can cause multiple hazards to the health of the dog. Want to know how? Keep reading!

can dogs eat peanut shells

Peanut shells for the dogs

It is recommended by experts and vets, not to give your dog shelled peanuts as a snack. You can allow the dog to eat peanuts, but only after consulting the vet whereas, there is no explanation for shells. However, if somehow your pooch manages to ingest one, then instead of getting panic, handle the situation with ease and intelligence. Most importantly, reach a vet if you can.

Does eating peanut shells bring a choking hazard?

If your dog manages to eat the peanut shell, then it can face a lot of hazards. One of the most common and dangerous hazards is choking. We know that when the dog ingests the peanut shell, it chews the shell. The shell breaks down into smaller pieces, which have sharp edges. These sharp small chunks can adhere to the dog’s throat as a result of which, the dog can choke. Your first attempt after seeing the dog eating a shelled peanut should be to take out it from the dog’s mouth. If you are too late, then keep monitoring the dog’s behaviour as there is a chance of choking.

Are peanut shells toxic for dogs?

Peanut shells are not toxic for dogs but they are not quite beneficial as well. Peanuts provide the dog with some important nutrients but, that does not mean peanut shells should be given to them. The peanut shells do not have plenty of nutrients also, they are dry. Well, in some cases, it is said that peanut shells contain a little number of pesticides, which can be a hazard to the dog’s health. But naturally, they do not have any toxic composition.

What digestive difficulties for dogs after eating peanut shell?

The intestinal health of the dog is compromised largely when it ingests a peanut shell. First of all, the texture of the peanut shell is hard which not only makes it hard to ingest but digest as well. Hence, there are chances that the peanut shell’s fragments remain stuck in the digestive system. Also, the peanut shell contains high fibre content that disturbs the digestive system of the dog as well. If your dog is facing inability of bowel movement, diarrhoea, or vomiting after eating the peanut shell, it is a dangerous sign. Rush to the vet for its better condition.

What are the warning signs for serious intestinal damage?

If you want to monitor the dog’s condition at home, you should observe that either the dog is losing blood by any chance. The primary signs include unusual than a normal stool and darker colour of the stool. Do not wait for the stool to get all red, because bloody stool does not mean that red blood comes along it. If you see too much darker stool, it means bloody stool. Some internal damage to the digestive system causes it hence, take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

What are the side effects of eating a peanut shell?

Can dogs eat peanut shells and have no side effects? Well, in most cases, several side effects can occur if the dog eats a shelled peanut. The most important one is intestinal blockage, and damage to the digestive system. Most dogs ingest the shell without chewing it which means, no digestive acid is released hence, the shell does not break down inside the digestive tract as well hence, can block the intestine. The intestinal blockage can then lead to severe infections and even threaten the life of the dog as well.

What to do if the dog ingests the peanut shell?

Most of the dog owners get panicked which is not good for them as well as the dog. Well, if your dog gets a peanut’s shell, stay calm and try to handle the situation carefully. First, try to get it out if it has not ingested completely. If you are late for this, then observe the behaviour of the dog and monitor its health for few hours. If the dog doesn’t show any alarming sign, it means you are lucky and should be careful for the next time. Whereas, in case of any digestive problem, reach the vet.

What symptoms indicate that the dog has eaten the peanut shell

Can dogs eat peanut shells and show entirely no symptoms? It is not always obvious when a dog eats a peanut shell as there can be some definite symptoms or nothing. It all depends on how the dog ingests it. Well, if the dog hasn’t chewed it properly, you will most likely observe digestive disorders. Also, choking is a good sign. Let us have a look at some of the other signs and symptoms as well.

  • Stomach pain
  • Lethargy
  • Burping
  • Bloating
  • Abdominal swelling
  • Diarrhoea
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Constipation

How to diagnose that either the dog has eaten the peanut shell or not?

After observing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, you should go see a vet immediately, as those are the signs of a medical emergency. When you reach a vet, he will first examine the dog physically to observe any sign. Then, he will let the dog go through some lab tests for better examinations. X-rays will be done to see if there are any fragments present inside the dog’s intestine causing blockage.

Treatment for the dogs after consuming peanut shell:

Can dogs eat peanut shells, but not get treatment? No, there is always a solution for this if you primarily cater for the problem. If self prevention and treatment do not work, then the vet has to find some serious treatment. Endoscopy is done to remove the fragments from the dogs gut. If endoscopy is not possible or fails to remove the fragments, then most likely the vet has to perform surgery. Surgery can further have several side effects on the dog’s health. Hence, make sure your dog never ingests the peanut shell.

For which dogs breeds, ingesting the peanut shell is very dangerous?

Although, ingesting peanut shell is dangerous for every dog, but small dogs are less likely to bear the shells. The high amount of fibres will make it hard for them to digest, and also the risk of choking is higher as compared to other dogs. Some of these small breed dogs include poodles, chihuahua, beagle, Maltese, Bichon Frise, Yorkshire terrier, pug, Shih Tzu, and many more.

Does the salt in the peanut shell affect the dog’s health?

Can dogs eat peanut shells to add better nutrition value to their diet? Besides the physical composition, the nutritional content of the peanut shell is not good for the dog as well. We have already discussed the high-fibre concentration but in addition to that, the peanut shells are usually seasoned with salts. Well, too much concentration of sodium in the dog’s diet is also not good for the dogs. This can lead to uncontrollable quivering, thirst, seizures, abnormal urination, and many more. Hence, it is best not to give the dogs peanut shells.

Do small quantities of peanut shell also hurt the dog?

We have discussed all the hazards that can come to the dog if it tries eating a peanut shell. But do you wonder in which case there are no signs and symptoms for this? Well, if your dog ingests just one of two small fragments of the shell, then its digestive system will most likely bear the pressure. These small fragments will pass through the stool without hurting the dog at all.

What alternatives can be given?

Well, if your dog loves to eat peanuts, then there are multiple ways to fulfil its desire. You don’t have to put shelled peanuts in front of the dog, but there is a proper way. Small amounts of peanuts should be given to the dog as it contains a good amount of fats and proteins. Also, they are beneficial for the dog’s health, just as they are for humans.

Some people think that peanut butter is a good alternative for dogs. You must have seen many owners giving medicine to the dog combining it with peanut butter. In our opinion, do not allow this without consulting the vet. As it is a high-fat food, it can increase the risk of pancreatitis and cause health problems.

Bottom Line

Peanut shells are hazardous for the dogs hence, keep them away from the dog’s reach. If somehow, the dog ingests it, get it out of its system and monitor the dog for some time. In case of severe symptoms, rush to a vet and he will most likely find a solution for it.  Lastly, if your dog is craving it, a small and adequate amount of peanut should be given.

Leave a Comment