What to do if Your Dog Ate a Mouse

First of all, you need to keep your cool and deal with it step by step. Knowing that your dog ate a mouse might be unsettling for you but, dogs are born hunters. It is part of their genetic makeup and nobody can change that. Similar to their other four-legged friends, they enjoy chasing rodents, mice, and even birds.

Although, some dogs may be more aggressive than others regardless of their breed and that’s totally okay.

However, if your dog ate a mouse, it could have been triggered due to extreme hunger as well.

Thus, it is crucial to make sure your dog is well-fed. But I’m sure in most cases all dog lovers keep the nutritional status of their friend checked!

Therefore, it is not unusual at all. But, it is important to find out if the mouse was contaminated or not. After all, you care about your doggo, don’t you?

Don’t worry, I will help you with everything you need to know to keep him safe and healthy.

dog ate mouse

Dog ate a poisoned mouse

Well, if your dog ate a poisoned or a dead mouse, it can cause several health consequences due to its sensitive digestive system. Small amounts of ingested poison can do massive damage. You need to call your vet immediately and never try to induce vomiting without their guidance!

Along with that, be ready to answer some of these questions your vet might ask.

  1. Did you put mouse poison anywhere around your house?
  2. Time and quantity of ingestion
  3. Was the mouse dead or alive?


Pro tip: Activated charcoal is an emergency measure to neutralize any harmful poison in your fur buddy’s gut.

What health issues can your dog face after eating a mouse?

In addition to the usual symptoms like diarrhea or vomiting, there are significant poisonous effects too. It should not be missed at all. Certain mouse poisons contain anticoagulant factors that result in Internal bleeding. This can prove to be fatal.

On the other hand, one poison can eat up all calcium stores and result in kidney failure. Not just that, bromethalin, a specific kind, can cause neurological damage. Thus, taking good care of your best friend is extremely important after any such incident.

Now, let’s discuss particular diseases and their symptoms to avoid missing out on anything.


Toxoplasma Gondii is a microorganism that resides in the muscle of the mice by forming cysts. Since dogs can well-digest meat, they can cause cysts to rupture. Hence, it facilitates the spread of organisms in their gut. From there they spread over through the blood affecting other organs.

Most importantly it can travel up to the brain as well. So, if your dog ate a mouse with Toxoplasmosis, don’t take it lightly. But how do you get to know? Through symptoms the dog shows. Your dog can suffer from several symptoms that should be enough to alert you. For example, seizures, fever, tremors and weight loss.

If you observe any such changes in your dog, notify your vet as soon as possible. Your pet will have a quick recovery if you comply with the antibiotic schedule provided by the doctor.

Round Worm Infestation

One of the most common complications of eating a wild mouse is worm infection in the intestines. Like Toxoplasma, the larvae of the worms lie in the muscle tissue. Once they make their way into your dog’s digestive system, there is no going back.

Since worms are motile they can swim through the blood to their desired destination and continue growing there.

You’ll notice signs of gradual weight loss as the worms feed on the food your dog takes. Moreover, if you’re good with observation, you can even see some of them in your dog’s poop. Gross right? Well, it is all real. Nonetheless, your dog might show signs of abdominal discomfort and pain along with diarrhea.

If your pet has a worm infection, the vet will prescribe you a deworming medication. It will help him get rid of it in no time!


It is a bacterial infection quite similar to what we find in humans as well. I am sure you’ve heard of typhoid. Haven’t you? Well, if your dog ate a mouse with salmonella residing in its gut, it can result in massive diarrhea.

Not just that, it can lead to severe dehydration. Moreover, it can also cause episodes of severe vomiting which can be fatal if not dealt on time. Your dog will lose all of its fluid and would require immediate replacement.

Unfortunately, if you leave it untreated, it can be a risk for other pets at home. And above all, to your entire family as well. So, watch out for this one and keep your canine companion safe!


Dogs are susceptible to catching Leptospirosis by eating a mouse or simply getting in contact with its urine. Although this one is a little uncommon, it can still cause complications with vague symptoms that often go unnoticed.

What are you going to see with Leptospirosis? Your dog would refuse to eat and it will have an increased desire to drink water too. Diarrhea might also be present, so don’t forget to rule this one out. It can also exhibit signs of fever and weakness.

Most importantly, if your pal is an expecting female, the infection can pass on to the puppies. Therefore, you should seek immediate medical attention if these symptoms last for more than 24 hours.

Well, that is not it. Restrict children or aged individuals from having close contact with the doggy. It can lead to the spread of the disease in them. However, a vaccine against Leptospirosis can provide sufficient protection.


Although tularemia is a rare disease in dogs it is still worth mentioning. It spreads in situations where a dog ate a mouse, especially during the Summer season. Fortunately, your buddy will have mild symptoms that are generally well-tolerated in the early stages.

Redness of the eyes, lethargy, and poor appetite can be typical symptoms of this disease. Your dog can also develop a sudden high fever. Along with that, check for swollen lymph nodes too.

Needless to say, swollen lymph nodes can also present as a sign of an underlying cancer. Therefore, discuss it with your vet and get some preliminary tests done to rule that out.

Despite all of this, it can still progress to a grave life-threatening disease. If you discontinue the treatment, it can even lead to organ failure and multiple ulcers. Furthermore, you need to take necessary measures to protect your family and yourself as it can spread through contact as well. Sounds scary, right?

Bones of the Dead

Does it sound like a horror movie title to you? Well, this is going to be the terrifying part. Gotcha! You don’t have to stress about these at all unless your dog has a pre-existing gut disease. Usually, the bones are small and pass through the Gut system. Therefore, it rarely causes an issue. Feel relieved, eh?

How to protect your dog?

The answer to this question is quite simple if you ask me. Give proper attention to your friend and get the necessary vaccinations done on time. It will not only protect your dog but your family as well. Supervising the dog is important in all cases.

Nonetheless, you can consider installing dog enclosures to keep your pet inside your house. It will limit its exposure to some extent. And by indulging in indoor activities you can keep a constant check on them too.

In addition to that, you can take your friend for evening walks just so your dog has adequate outside world exposure as well. I’m sure you just want the best for your pal.

You can also try attending pet meet ups to help your buddy socialize with other dogs in the circle. Meanwhile you can meet other pet owners to discuss if they have encountered these situations.

Overall, it will help in suppressing the aggressive side of your furry friend and in a few weeks you’ll start seeing the changes in your dogs behaviour yourself.

Furthermore, if you have frequent rodent/mice/mouse visits in your house, try using traps instead of poisons. You can also request your neighbors to do the same. I’m sure they will understand. How can someone not love dogs, right?

I hope these suggestions help you in preventing any such incident. And, in case you experience it you should have an idea on how to go about it. Not just that, I have tried my best to focus on the significance of identifying the symptoms and involving a vet at an earlier stage.


A vet would play the most vital role in the whole process. Therefore don’t forget to involve him right away. And that is it, check the signs and symptoms mentioned in this article regularly. Hopefully, you will be successful in stopping the spread of any of these diseases to your loved ones as well.

So, this is it. I am sure now you know what to do if your dog ate a mouse. You don’t have to stress about it at all. Take good care of your pets’ hygienic conditions. Wear gloves while dealing with your pet. If you observe any of these signs visit the vet to avoid future problems and diseases. Remember a vet will also help you in choosing the correct treatment for your pet. Adios!

Leave a Comment